The Patrol Division consists of two Investigators, Deputy Sheriffs, and a Narcotics Officer. It operates 24 hours per day responding to accidents, answering calls, providing preventative patrol and assisting municipalities as requested. These officers are supervised by the Sheriff, Chief Deputy and Sergeant. We have officers who have received specialized training in areas such as Drug Prevention, Cops in Schools, Boat and Water Safety, Snowmobile Safety, Narcotics, Civil Process, Community Policing, K-9, and Cornerhouse Training (child protection).
The Sheriff’s Office has implemented the community-policing concept of dividing the county into two major patrol districts, north and south. Deputies basically live and work within their assigned patrol district.
- Investigations – all major offenses are referred to the Investigator. These include, but are not limited to, homicide, child abuse, criminal sexual conduct, burglary, arson, and fraud cases.
- Patrol and Crime Prevention – 16 deputies and two sergeants answer complaints and patrol Hubbard County on a rotating schedule. The Sheriff’s Office also has one drug task force officer.
- Narcotics – the office has one officer assigned full time as drug task officer for Hubbard County. This specialized drug task force investigates illegal drug activities within the member counties of northern Minnesota.
- Civil Process -- provides the service of all legal process (papers) received from the court and private attorneys.
- Boat & Water Safety – inspects boats of area resorts for current registration and safety violations, patrols area lakes during the summer months, issues swim raft permits for special events held on area lakes and heads up all search and rescue operations on the lakes, such as drowning.
- K-9 Unit – the office has one K-9, Oakley, who assists officers with searches for drugs, evidence, missing persons and suspects. His handler is Sergeant Dan Kruchowski. Oakley came to the Hubbard County Sheriff’s Office from Czechoslovakia.
- Snowmobile Safety Program – provided during winter months with assistance from DNR Snowmobile Safety Grant.
- Community Policing – School Resource Officer, Drug Education Programs, Explorers program, Community Crime Watch.
- Hubbard County Posse – a volunteer unit which provides the department with assistance in search and rescue operations.
Deputy Sheriff/Transport Officer