Medicines & Medical Waste

Unused prescriptions or old medicines from home can be disposed of at the Hubbard County Sheriff’s Office.  In the lobby there is a box where any medications can be placed and will be disposed of properly.  The box is only for medications no other medical waste will be accepted.  Only Hubbard County residents will be allowed to drop off medications at the sheriff’s office.  The lobby is open 24 hours a day, so you will be able to access the drop-box at any time.  The sheriff’s office address is 301 Court Ave, Park Rapids, MN 56470.



Needles, syringes, and lancets pose a safety hazard for solid waste workers. You can help prevent injury and disease transmission from needle sticks.  Purchase a sharps disposal container or a home destruction device from either a pharmacy or online.  A home destruction device is a small portable device that can destroy needles within a few seconds using high heat.  Another option to dispose of sharps is using a mail-back program.  Here are some companies that provide a mail-back service:

If you have a small amount of household sharps you can place them in a puncture resistant container, such as a laundry detergent bottle, and bring them to either transfer station.  You must mark the container on all sides “Sharps do not recycle” in large legible handwriting.  Only bring sharps to the transfer station as a last resort. 


Other medical waste

Any other medical waste needs to be disposed of properly.  Businesses with medical waste need to dispose of the waste through a company or a manufacturer.    If you have questions about how to properly dispose of your medical waste please contact us.  

Medical waste collection companies

  • Stericycle
  • Med Pro
  • Sharps Compliance